So I am less than one week away from the STP. This year I plan on doing the one day version and start from my house. This means I will be riding 224 miles, my first double century, on my brand new Mango Sport.
I am nervous and have a bit of anxiety since I didn't train as much as last year and I will be riding a bike that I have only put 210 miles on. But putting that aside, I have the base miles from commuting to work with so I should be good.
I am not sure what my average speed will be but my hope is 16mph. Last year I averaged 16.9 mph on the Raptobike but I was in much better shape and weighed 14 lbs less than I do now. The Mango Sport has been faster than the raptobike at my current fitness level and the STP is well suited to speedy velomobile riding. My plans include a 14mph average speed. I have allocated 50 minutes to rest stops. Last year I spent a lot of time at rest stops but this year I am solo so plan on approximately five 10 minute stops. Given an average speed of 14 mph, the ride will take 16 hours from my house. Add in 50 minutes for rest and we are at 16:50. If I start at 0300 then I will get to the finish at 1950. That is my worst case and gives me 1:10 of buffer. If I average my target of 16mph then I will finish at 1750. That is a great time to finish. Keeping the rest time down is key, but I do have some buffer zone time.
The question is what to bring. Since I haven't trained with any new food solutions I will go with my tried and true.
- One 2L bladder of Cytomax, refilling as it empties
- 5 baggies of cytomax, sized for mixing with 1L of water
- two 500 mL water bottles, initially frozen. I will refill as necessary. I will also douse myself with water as needed.
- 1.5 lbs of dried cherries
- 6 packets of cliff shots gels (black cherry with caffeine)
- spare tube, spare tire, patch kit, pump, tire levers, towel
- gps battery extender
- hand cleaner
- 2 small towels to keep hands clean and wipe down the mango
- Imodium tablets
- rain jacket