Saturday, June 13, 2009

Flying Wheels

Flying Wheels Summer Century
I rode the Flying Wheels ride organized by Cascade Cycle club today. It was a beautiful day and I loved it. Here is a quote from my Flickr photo set for the ride.
Flying Wheels summer century ride organized by Cascades Cycle club. A nice 99 mile route. I averaged 15.4 mph and finished in 6h:25m. Elapsed time was 7h:35m, so I was off the bike for an 1h:10m. The ride was wonderful and very scenic. Cascade did an amazing job. My mileage was a bit higher than most as I followed some non-affiliated riders off the course.
The scenery was wonderful and the ride was hillier than I expected. Having 3000 other people riding with you does push the pace a bit though. I was faster than I have ever been on a long ride. And 4500ft of climbing is nothing to sneeze at. Here is the Garmin data from the ride. The first lap is the ride to the start and I really didn't push on it at all. The second lap is the ride itself.

3 comments:

Russell said...

Very nice. Did you work with any other cyclists? Feel ready for the STP now?

Duncan Watson said...

I feel ready for the STP. I think it should be fine. There was more climbing on FW than the STP so why worry? :)

I started the ride with a few COGS members (cyclists of greater seattle) but I was soon alone. I mostly found cyclists on the ride and chatted with them as I caught them, lost them and found them again. Lots of passing and being passed.

Anonymous said...

I did Flying Wheels too. I've been on a couple organized rides before, but never one with quite as many people around! It was pretty crazy :) (I do wonder if it was just due to starting promptly when the starting line opened - the previous organized rides, I started an hour or two afterwards, and rode slow, so maybe everyone else was just way ahead of me?)