I get obsessive about certain things, so I find it useful for me to focus my obsession on healthy activities rather than self-destructive habits. Recently I gave up MMOs because my obsession was not good for my health, my relationships and my work. To replace that I decided that it would be better to focus on cycling, cycle maintenance and politics. All of these activities are ones I have had a lifelong interest in so they are natural fits. I am giving up my old hobby of rock climbing as it is harder to get into shape and keep climbing without a regular partner you trust. Plus cycling works well with cycle commuting as training.
So without too much ado, here are my 2009 goals.
- Hill training, must ride more hills
- Cycle commute 200 days in 2009
- add morning training rides to my commute three times a week (20+ miles, and major hills combined)
- 2500 miles (I hope to beat this but this works out to an average of 208 miles/month, 48 miles/week)
- 2009 STP (202 miles over two days)
- Training century ride before STP, probably Flying Wheels Summer Century
- Attending any nearby recumbent rallies or get togethers
- Lose approximately 40 lbs (50 lbs from my high)
- Crack 100 miles per week averaged over 1 month.